The Brookhaven Fair
Chaining monkeys to dogs and forcing them to race? Trucking bears from state to state and making them do tricks?
Fair Productions, Inc. has a long history of using exotic animal acts at fairs all across the country. The Banana Derby involves chaining monkeys necks to the necks of dogs and forcing them to race for the public's amusement. A Grizzly Experience let one of their bears escape in a Florida suburb for 5 days.
If this isn't bad enough, these acts have USDA citations for the following:
- animal escapes
- improper and unsafe enclosures
- failing to provide clean and wholesome food
- failing to provide a current plan of veterinary care
- failing to provide environmental enrichment
- and intentionally evading and confusing inspection.
Read more about these cruel acts below, boycott the Brookhaven Fair until they stop using exotic animals, and sign our petition to stop them here.
The Banana Derby
If chaining monkeys to dogs and forcing them to race isn't bad enough, the Banana Derby has a long history of Animal Welfare Act violations, including:
- Failing to meet minimum cage sizes for both dog and primate enclosures,
- Failing to provide clean and wholesome food for captive animals,
- Failing to provide environmental enrichment to ensure the psychological well-being of captive primates,
- Failing to provide a current plan of veterinary care,
- And repeatedly and intentionally evading and confusing USDA inspectors seeking records and access to animals.
A Grizzly Experience
Exhibitor Dexter Osborn markets his shows as educational and claims to care about animal welfare but his forays into alligator wrestling, the stereotypical or psychotic behaviors of bears in his shows, and his habit of trucking them from state to state for a profit tell a very different story.
- Video: Tonka paces stereotypically in his cage, a documented sign of psychological distress
- Video: BooBoo escapes for 4 days in a Florida Suburb
What You Can Do
1. Boycott the Brookhaven Fair until they cease using exotic animals for entertainment!
2. Sign our petition telling Fair Productions, Inc and the Brookhaven Fair about your boycott and urging them give up abusing exotic animals at their fairs.
3. Politely urge Brookhaven leadership to BAN exotic animal acts in the Town of Brookhaven:
Supervisor Edward P Romaine*
Councilwoman Jane Bonner
Councilwoman Connie Kepert*
Councilman Timothy P. Mazzei
Councilman Daniel J. Panico
Councilwoman Valerie Cartright
P: (631) 451-6963
F: (631) 451-6447
Councilman Kevin LaValle
P: (631) 451-6647
F: (631) 451-6447
*Supervisor Ed Romaine and Councilwoman Connie Kepert have proven themselves friends of animals very recently. Please urge them to prove it again here!